I had fun writing about how I work with Git yesterday. I thought I’d continue on that thread.
I have a solid set of code libraries that I’ve written that latch into the WordPress themes we produce at iThemes. Each time code is duplicated across different repositories, I break that code out and make it into a separate repository. I then link it back into the project as a submodule. This makes it extremely-easy to keep duplicated code across numerous repositories updated with little or no fuss.
After cloning a repository, simply run
git submodule init followed by
git submodule update in order to initialize all the submodules and update their container folder with the content of the submodule’s repository. For a long time, this is exactly what I did when I would clone a theme repository to start working on it. However, this quickly wasn’t enough.
The problem happened as soon as I added a submodule to a repository that was also a submodule of other repositories. Doing the submodule init and update process wouldn’t do everything I needed in this case as there would be submodules in some subfolder that haven’t been set up.
I didn’t want to get into a habit of always switching to other directories and doing the submodule processes there as well since I 1) knew that I would forget all-too-often, thus wasting my time, and 2) knew that this would not be the last time that a submodule had submodules. Heck, there is even the possibility that I’ll have a submodule that has a submodule that has a submodule. It was immediately clear that I needed a script to do all this dirty work for me. The rest of this post will be about the script I created.