When newer versions of Firefox come out, there are always a few add-ons that fail to update quickly enough. After about a week of waiting, I’ve become tired of waiting for some of my add-ons to update themselves. These add-ons are ColorZilla (white reports 3.6.* compatibility, but it won’t install/update on 3.6), CSSViewer, and Live HTTP Headers.
Fortunately, updating is a simple matter. Just do the following:
- Download the xpi file for the add-on
- Open up the downloaded xpi file as a zip file
- Open the install.rdf file inside the xpi file
- Search for the targetApplication section with an id of
- Change that section’s maxVersion to the version number to whatever Firefox version you want to be supported
- Update the xpi file with the modified install.rdf file
- Install the add-on by dragging the xpi file onto the Firefox window and clicking the Install button (this works for upgrades as well)
Here are the modified xpi files for each of the add-ons:
Note: All of these add-ons were updated to work with 3.6.*. Of course, they may not be compatible with future versions of 3.6, so use at your own risk.
Keep in mind that if you manually upgrade an older add-on, you do so at your own risk. I tested these add-ons, and they all work properly with 3.6.
Did I help you?
Awesome man ! it worked on my firefox 3.6.6 :). I used winRAR to extract and compress the file.
Thanks Chris, you rock!